The Bachelor of Arts in Social Work (BSW) program at Tribhuvan University is a four-year academic program that prepares students for careers in social work. The program is designed to provide students with a comprehensive understanding of social work principles, methods, and practices, as well as the skills necessary to work with individuals, families, groups, communities, and organizations to address social problems and promote social justice.
The BSW program curriculum includes a mix of core social work courses, related discipline courses, and specialization courses. Core social work courses cover topics such as social work theory, social work practice, social research, and social policy.
Related discipline courses include topics such as psychology, sociology, economics, and anthropology. Specialization courses allow students to focus on a specific area of social work, such as child and family welfare, mental health, or community development.
Objectives of BSW:
The BSW program has several key objectives, including:
- To develop students’ knowledge and understanding of social work principles, methods, and practices.
- To prepare students to conduct social research and identify solutions to community problems.
- To develop students’ skills in working with individuals, families, groups, communities, and organizations to address social problems and promote social justice.
- To help students have a commitment to ethical and professional practice.
To be eligible for admission to the BSW program, students must have completed a higher secondary level degree (such as +2, PCL, or equivalent) recognized by Tribhuvan University. In some cases, an entrance examination may be required.
Course Duration and Evaluation
The BSW program spans four academic years, with final examinations held at the end of each year. Evaluation for exams consists of 30% internal assessment and 70% external assessment. Internal assessment includes factors such as class attendance, participation, assignments, and class tests. External evaluation involves written examinations, except for Social Work Practicum and Field Work courses, where practical evaluation is also conducted.
Eligibility for Admission
Students seeking admission to the BSW program must meet one of the following criteria:
- Achieve a minimum grade of D+ in all subjects in Grade 11 and Grade 12.
- Pass +2, Intermediate, or PCL from TU or any TU-recognized institution with a minimum of 45% marks.
Graduates of the BSW program have a wide range of job opportunities in a variety of places, including:
- Government and non-governmental organizations (NGOs)
- Educational institutions
- Social sector (NGOs and INGOs)
- Media organizations (TV, radio, news agencies)
- Banks and commercial institutions
- Corporate sectors
- Research institutions and consultancies
Graduates of the BSW program can also pursue higher studies in social work or related fields. BSW Jobs: Click here
The Bachelor of Arts in Social Work program at Tribhuvan University is a rewarding program that prepares students for careers in social work. Graduates of the program are equipped with the knowledge, skills, and values necessary to make a positive impact on the world.