Kathmandu University is an institution of higher learning established in December 1991 by an Act of Parliament. KU is the 3rd oldest university in Nepal and it aims to dedicate itself to maintaining the benchmark of academic excellence in various classical and professional faculties.
Kathmandu University was initially Kathmandu Valley Campus, run under the affiliation with Tribhuvan University. Kathmandu Valley Campus was founded in 1985. KU was later established as a non-profit, autonomous, public university established after an Act was approved by the Parliament on 11 December 1991. After its establishment, it became the first public university managed by private parties.
The vision of Kathmandu University is “to become a global standard university devoted to bring knowledge and technology to the service of mankind”. KU states their mission statement is as “to provide quality education for leadership”. With the motto of “taking knowledge and skills from the campus to the community”, KU aspires to serve the nation by fulfilling the needs of the society.
The university highly values the contact between its students and the faculties. They strive for a student-friendly environment with autonomous administration, monetary self-sustenance, maintenance of the academic calendar, trust if the international academic community, and so on.
The university runs its classes through seven schools and it provides more classes through more of the institutes within the university. The university provides more than 200 courses and is affiliated with about 20 educational intuitions. It has 1861 faculty/staff, 16083+ students, and 38339 graduates recorded.
School of Arts
The School of Arts (SoA) of KU is one of the seven Schools of Kathmandu University established in 1996. The School of Arts provides students with education in courses like Liberal Arts, Music, Media, and Social Sciences with the aim of producing fully capable professionals who can contribute to the development of the nation.
KUSOA runs with the vision of – Education for promoting standards of social and economic justice and well-being for all persons and their surroundings. This school is located at Hattiban, Lalitpur with the School of Education.
The school aims to promote professional knowledge, understanding, and skills in the development of arts, culture, and other social and economic potentials of human resources. The SoA operates with the departments and centers under it.
Departments under the KU School of Arts
- Department of Development Studies
- Department of Languages and Mass Communication
- Department of Music
- Department of Art and Design
Centers under the KU School of Arts
- Disability Research Centre
- Centre for Buddhist Studies
- Confucius Institute
- Himalayan Centre for Asian Studies
School of Education
Kathmandu University School of Education (KUSoEd) was established in 1997, and it immediately started its first activity of raising the quality of schools in Dhulikhel Municipality through in-service training and other programs.
The School of Education aims to enhance the quality of education in the country. It envisions transforming the educational landscapes of Nepal, for this, it has designed a holistic teacher education program to produce teachers, teacher educators, educational leaders, development professionals, and researchers to contribute to social transformation.
SoEd’s first academic programs were started in 1998 with MPhil and PhD in Educational Leadership. The School of Education envisions their mission to prepare competent educationalists and developed professionals who are engrossed, innovative, and progressive in their outlook for education at tertiary, secondary, and primary levels.
Departments under the KU School of Education
- Department of Educational Leadership
- Department of STEAM Education
- Department of Language Education
- Department of Development Education
School of Engineering
In 1994, the School of Engineering came into operation with Computer Engineering, Electrical and Electronic Engineering, and Mechanical Engineering. Since then, the KU School has grown with many fields being added to it. The School is committed to setting new standards of excellence in research, empowerment, entrepreneurship, and professionalism.
The school paved the way in the global world and now represents Nepal in the global arena with a world-class engineering school. SoE is directed to local and global challenges and gains national and international trust to empower students to be equipped with a new direction to empower students to be equipped with new skills to address the existing and future challenges. The school thrives “To be a Centre of Excellence in Higher Education in Engineering by 2026.”
Departments under the KU School of Engineering
- Department of Computer Science and Engineering
- Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Department of Mechanical Engineering
- Department of Civil Engineering
- Department of Chemical Science and Engineering
- Department of Geomatics Engineering
School of Law
School of Law was established in 2014 and is based in Dhulikhel Municipality. The school was established to create great opportunities abundant in Nepal for a high-quality law school. SoL maintains an educational program that prepares the students for admission to the bar and effective and responsible participation in the legal profession.
The aim of the School of law is to prepare students to be critical thinkers, and problem-solving leaders with the flexibility to respond to changes in the legal profession. The school thrives on producing a diverse group of graduates with the skill, judgment, and moral compass to become exceptional lawyers and legal professionals, and socially responsible members of the global community.
School of Management
Kathmandu University School of Management established in 1993 was the first school to launch a graduate program at Kathmandu University. Today, it still holds the prestigious position of being the leading business school in Nepal.
KUSOM has the vision to become one of the top twenty management schools in South Asia by 2022. The school pursues core business management education, training, learning, consulting, and research.
KUSUM aims to improve the practice and profession of management through quality and pertinent opportunities for learning, knowing, discovering, and applying the best in management.
The school thrives to produce professionals, leaders, and entrepreneurs in the field of management with continuous improvement in-field performance.
School of Medical Studies
Kathmandu University School of Medical school was established in 1994. KUSMS in Collaboration with Dhulikhel Hospital. In 2001, under both institutions, it started its own medical training program, MBBS.
Before it was formally established as KUSMS, it was widely known as KUMS till 2006. The School not only trains medical undergraduate and postgraduate students but also runs nursing and similar health science programs.
The medical programs under the KU School of Medical are unique with high-quality education with features like community-oriented teaching, problem-based learning, and the use of modern pedagogical approaches.
It aims to produce technically competent and socially responsible medical professionals to contribute to the field of the overall health status of Nepal.
School of Science
School of Science was established in 1992, it is one of the seven schools under Kathmandu University. KUSOS provides many courses for young aspiring students in the field of science and technology. This school aims to produce manpower in the field of science and technology.
The School of Science thrives to develop high-caliber scientific manpower for academic excellence and continuous advancement of research facilities for individual and institutional benefit. This School operates with six departments under which various courses are provided to the students.
Departments under the KU School of Science
- Department of Pharmacy
- Department of Physics
- Department of Mathematics
- Department of Biotechnology
- Department of Life Sciences
- Department of Environmental Science and Engineering
Some other features of Kathmandu University
- KU High School
Kathmandu University High School was established in 1998, and initially named Kathmandu University Preparatory School. The School now successfully has been running classes from Primary to High School. The institute envisions to become one of the best institutions in the global world where students can come to collaborate, create and propagate their achievements to benefit the entire global village. The school strives to produce creative and innovative students to tackle the demands of society.
- Confucius Institute
Confucius Institute under Kathmandu University is supported by Hebei Economics and Business. It is the first Confucius Institute in Nepal and is focused to promote the Chinese Language and Culture. The institute under KU with support from the Office of Chinese Language Council International and Hebei University. The institution visualizes “to develop Confucius Institute at Kathmandu University into one of the best headquarters for the promotion of Chinese Culture and Language” with the aim “to offer qualified and applicable Chinese Courses upon the students’ request.”
- Disability Research Centre
- Centre for Buddhist Studies
- Himalaya Centre for Asian Studies (HiCAS)
Courses Under Kathmandu University
Courses Under School of Art of Kathmandu University
- Master in Development Studies
- Master in Human and Natural Resources Studies
- Master in Urban Studies
- Bachelor in Media Studies
- Master in Media Studies
- Bachelor in Fine Arts (Graphic Communication)
- Bachelor in Fine Arts (Studio Art)
- Bachelor in Community Development Programme
- Bachelor in Economics
- Master in Landscape Management and Heritage Studies
- PhD Programs
Courses Under School of Education of Kathmandu University
- Master in Sustainable Development
- Master in Technical and Vocational Education and Training (MTVET)
- Master of Education in Training and Development
- Master of Philosophy in Development Studies
- PhD in Development Education
- Bachelor of Education in Chinese Language Teaching
- Master of Education in ELT (1 year)
- Master of Education in ELT (2 years)
- Master of Philosophy in English Language Education
- PhD in Language Education
- Master of Education in Early Childhood Development (1 year)
- Master of Education in Leadership and Management (2 years)
- Master of Education in Leadership and Management (1 year)
- Master of Philosophy in Educational Leadership
- Post Graduate Diploma in Educational Management
- PhD in Educational Leadership
- Bachelor of Technical Education in Civil Engineering
- Bachelor of Technical Education in Information Technology
- Bachelor of Technical Education in Mechanical Engineering
- Bachelor of Technical Education in Mechanical Engineering- Automobile
- Master of Education in Mathematics Education
- Master of Education in STEAM Education
- Master of Philosophy in STEAM Education
- Post Graduate Diploma in Mathematics Education
- Post Graduate Diploma in STEAM Education
- Graduate Diploma in Higher Education
- PhD in STEAM Education
- PhD in Regulation
- PhD in Programs
- Post Graduate Diploma in Short Term Teacher Training
Courses Under School of Engineering of Kathmandu University
- Bachelor of Engineering in Geomatics Engineering
- Master in Land Administration
- ME/MS in Geoinformatics
- MS by Research
- PhD under the Department of Geomatics Engineering
- Bachelor of Engineering (Computer Engineering)
- Bachelor of Science (Computer Science)
- Bachelor of Technology in Artificial Intelligence
- Master of Engineering (Computer Engineering)
- Master of Technology in Artificial Intelligence
- Master of Technology (Information Technology)
- MS by Research Department of Computer Science and Engineering
- PhD under the Department of Computer Science and Engineering
- Bachelor of Architecture
- Bachelor of Engineering in Civil Engineering
- Master of Engineering in (Structural Engineering)
- Bachelor of Engineering in Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Master of Engineering
- MS By Research under Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- PhD in Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Bachelor of Engineering in Mechanical Engineering
- Master of Engineering (Mechanical Engineering)
- Master of Engineering (Planning and Operation of Energy System)
- Master Program in Energy Efficient Building Design (EEBD)
- MS by Research under Department of Mechanical Engineering
- PhDs under the Department of Mechanical Engineering
- Bachelor in Engineering (Chemical Engineering)
Courses Under School of Law of Kathmandu University
- Bachelor of Business Management and Bachelor of Law (BBM-LL.B)
- Bachelor of Economics and Bachelor of Law (Bec-LL.B)
- Masters by Research in Energy and Infrastructure Law
Courses Under School of Management of Kathmandu University
- Bachelor in Business Administration (Hons/Emphasis)
- Bachelor in Business Administration (BBA)
- Bachelor in Business Information System (BBIS)
- Bachelor in Professional Hospitality (BPH)
- Bachelor of Hospitality and Tourism Management(BHTM)
- Master of Business Administration (MBA)
- Master of Business Administration (Executive) (EMBA)
- Master in Security Management (MSM)
- Master of Public Policy and Management (MPPM)
- Master of Philosophy (MPhilM) in Management
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Management
- Post Graduate Diploma in Security Management (PGDSM)
- Post Graduate Diploma in Management (PGDM)
- Diploma in Management (DipM)
Courses Under School of Medical Studies of Kathmandu University
- PCL Nursing
- Bachelor in Dental Sciences (BDS)
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy (BPT)
- Sc. Nursing
- Bachelor in Nursing Science (BNS)
- Bachelor of Science in Laboratory Medicine (B.SC.LAB.MED)
- Bachelor of Science in Medical Imaging Technology (B.SC.MIT)
- MDS Program
- Master of Science in Public Health (M.SC.PH)
- SC. Nursing Program
- Master of Science in Midwifery
Courses Under School of Science of Kathmandu University
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Master in Pharmaceutical Analysis
- Master in Pharmacognosy and Phyto Chemistry
- Master in Pharmacy (Industrial Pharmacy)
- Master in Pharmacy (Pharmaceutical Care)
- Master in Science by Research (Pharmaceutical Science)
- PharmD (Post Baccalaureate)
- PhD in Pharmacy
- Sc. in Physics
- MS by Research in Physics
- Sc. in Physics
- Phil. in Physics
- PhD in Physics
- Sc. in Computational Mathematics
- Sc. in Mathematics
- Phil. in Mathematics
- Phil. in Statistics
- D. in Mathematics
- D. in Statistics
- Bachelor of Technology in Biotechnology
- MS by Research in Biotechnology
- Tech. in Biotechnology
- D. in Biotechnology
- Sc. in Agriculture
- Sc. in Environmental Science
- Tech. in Environmental Engineering
- Master by Research in Environmental Science
- Master by Research in Glaciology
- Sc. in Environmental Science – Specialization in Glaciology
- Sc. in Environmental Science – Specialization in Natural Resources
- Sc. in Environmental Science – Specialization in Wildlife Management
- by Research Environmental Engineering
- in Environmental Engineering
- Phil. in Environmental Science
- PhD in Environmental Engineering
- PhD in Environmental Science
- PhD in Environmental Science-Specialization in Glaciology
- Sc. in Computer Science
- MS by Research in Chemistry
- Phil. in Chemistry
- PhD in Chemistry
Where is Kathmandu University Located?
The main building of Kathmandu University is located in Dhulikhel, Kavrepalanchowk District. It lies about 30 km east of Kathmandu. As it operates from 7 schools and Campuses, it has offices for schools in Dhulikhel, Patan, Lalitpur, and Bhaktapur.
This blog about “Kathmandu University” discusses all information about the Schools, departments, and centers under Kathmandu University. We hope all of your queries about Kathmandu Universities are answered here. Thank you for Visiting Gurubaa!!