Pokhara University was established in 1997 after Nepal adopted the concept of Multi-University in 1983. The University was the 5th University of Nepal, established as part of the government’s initiative to improve access to higher education. The University was established only in 1997 under Pokhara University Act, 1997 although the idea of Pokhara University was conceived in 1986.
Pokhara University runs as an autonomous non-profit public institution. The University is partly funded by the revenues it collects from student and affiliated colleges, and partly by the Government of Nepal. It has been slowly reducing its dependence on the Government coffer with the Government’s Fiscal strategy of cost-effective sharing with private sectors. However, Pokhara university still fully depends on government funding for financing the capital expenses, especially on the building infrastructures for academic and administrative purposes.
Pokhara University envisions to become a leader in the promotion of education via the quality higher education, health and community services. The institution aims to develop the university into a Centre of Excellence for Higher Education by improving the teaching, learning, and research activities. Pokhara University is the youngest university system functioning with full-fledged programs in the country. The university aims to produce manpower capable of working for the nation and the global community.
The university follows the semester system to successfully execute the practice of continuous assessment of students’ performance. PU believes the semester system allows the students to grow at a pace suitable to their individual ability and convenience. With the semester system, PU has set its Academic Year of 2 semesters, each of 16 weeks. Of the two semesters of the Academic Year, new admission is usually taken fall. The fall semester starts in September and the Spring Semester starts in the month of March.
Pokhara University has more than 30,000 students studying under it and there are more than 50+ Colleges affiliated with it. The university constitutes of 4 faculties, 4 Constituent Schools and 4 Joint Constituent Colleges.
Faculties Under Pokhara University
There are four faculties under Pokhara University. They are:
1. Faculty of Management Studies
The Faculty of Management Studies (FMS) of Pokhara University was established in 1997 under Pokhara University Act. This faculty offers programs that enhance knowledge in soft and hard managerial skills, and it provides students exposure to the real world to help them broaden the outlook of the programs and become productive and responsible. As the leading business school in the area, the PU faculty of management studies maintains its efforts to provide quality education with a consistent focus on the academic growth and professional competence of each student. The faculty aims to develop executives and managers for different sectors of the country with a high level of competence in the field.
2. Faculty of Health and Sciences
Pokhara University’s Faculty of Health and Sciences was established in 2016 under the Pokhara University Act. The Programs of Health Sciences had already started at Pokhara University in 1997, it was under a different institution. The Health Sciences was already under the School of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Sciences, and only recently it was renamed into School of Health and Allied Sciences. The faculty aims to produce skilled and qualified manpower in the field of medical and paramedical sciences.
Programs under this Faculty have courses that use a variety of learning methods with practical sessions and seminars in fully equipped laboratories designed to foster skills with excellent learning and effective participation of students in university and in their prospect careers. The programs under this faculty assure high academic standards and quality.
3. Faculty of Science and Technology
The Faculty of Science and Technology was established along with the Faculty of Management Studies in 1997 under Pokhara University Act 1997. The faculty envisions being a leader in making research-oriented Scientists trained with high-tech skills and profound ethical values. It also aims to produce qualified and skilled professionals in the field of Applied Science and Engineering. The faculty offers diverse programs focused on students’ growth and development as individuals as well as leaders of the global society, upon graduation the students are equipped with skills and perspectives for rich and rewarding careers. The programs it provides has high academic standard and quality assurance with extensive practical sessions performed in fully equipped laboratories and workshops.
4. Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences
The faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences was established in 2004 and is one of the functioning faculties of Pokhara University dedicated to leading contemporary academics in the fields of Humanities and Social Science with a focus on sustainable development and social engineering. The Faculty aims to gain a strong international position to contribute to the goal of the University. The School of Development and Social Engineering under PU is the Constituent School of the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences.
Schools Under Pokhara University
There are four schools under Pokhara University. They are:
1. School of Business
The School of Business of Pokhara University is a constituent school under the Faculty of Management studies. The School was established in 1999 and offers semester-based programs. Initially, School was Pokhara University Campus, which was later known as the Management Campus and then renamed into School of Business. The School offers a variety of undergraduate, graduate and PhD programs with interactive lectures consisting of Case Studies, Field Visits, Group discussions, Project assignments, Class presentations and other modern teaching techniques.
2. School of Engineering
Under Pokhara University Faculty of Sciences and Technology, the School of Engineering was established in 2009. This School offers Engineering programs in undergraduate and graduate programs in various disciplines with a new focus on technology. The school aims to deal with the 21st century needs by producing highly committed and capable professionals, engineers, entrepreneurs, academics and researchers in the national and international markets of this sector.
3. School of Health and Allied Sciences
The School of Health and Allied Sciences of Pokhara University under the Faculty of Health and Allied Sciences was established in 2001. The school envisions producing skilled and highly qualified manpower in the field of medical and paramedical sciences. The school has an extensive feasible program designed and developed under the national health and medical strategy and priority. The school has highly dedicated research and result-oriented faculty.
4. School of Development and Social Engineering
Pokhara University Under the Faculties of Humanities and Social Sciences. This school is dedicated to pursuing highly standard professional and academic excellence in the area of development and social engineering. The school offers undergraduate, graduate and even doctorate programs, the doctoral programmes are running under the Council of Doctoral Studies managed by the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences.
Joint Constituent Colleges
The four joint Constituent College of Pokhara University are listed below:
- B.P. Koirala Memorial Cancer Hospital Nursing College, Chitwan
- Himalaya Eye Institute, Kaski
- Madan Bhandari Memorial Academy Nepal, Morang
- Tilganga Institute of Ophthalmology, Kathmandu
Programs Under Pokhara University
Pokhara University provides 64 different programs under different faculties. All the programs are listed below:
All Undergraduate, Postgraduate, Graduate and PhD programs of Management under Pokhara University are listed below:
- Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA)
- Bachelor of Business Administration–Banking and Insurance (BBA-BI)
- Bachelor of Business Administration-Travel and Tourism (BBA-TT)
- Bachelor of Computer Information System (BCIS)
- Bachelor of Hotel Management (BHM)
- Bachelor in Health Care Management (BHCM)
- Post Graduate Diploma in Health Care Management (PGDHCM)
- Master of Business Administration (MBA)
- Master of Business Administration(Finance)
- Master of Business Administration (Global Business)
- Master of Business Administration (Jobholder)
- Master of Health Care Management (MHCM)
- Master of Business Administration (Executive)
- Master of Computer Information System (MCIS)
- Doctor of Philosophy in Management
Health Sciences Programs
All Undergraduate and Graduate programs in Health Sciences under Pokhara University are listed below:
- Bachelor of Science in Biochemistry
- Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science
- Bachelor of Science in Medical Laboratory Technology
- Bachelor of Public Health
- Bachelor of Science in Medical Microbiology
- Bachelor of Science in Medical Biochemistry
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (Annual)
- Bachelor of Nursing Sciences
- Bachelor of Optometry
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Master of Pharmaceutical Sciences (Clinical Pharmacy)
- Master of Pharmaceutical Sciences (Natural Product Chemistry)
- Master of Public Health (Health Promotion Education)
- Master of Public Health (Public Health Service Management)
- Master of Science in Medical Biochemistry
- Master of Science in Medical Microbiology
- Master of Optometry
All Undergraduate and Graduate programs in Science under Pokhara University are listed below:
- Bachelor of Civil Engineering
- Bachelor of Civil & Rural Engineering
- Bachelor of Civil Engineering for Diploma Holders
- Bachelor of Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Bachelor of Electronics & Communication Engineering
- Bachelor of Computer Engineering
- Bachelor of Engineering in Information Technology
- Bachelor of Software Engineering
- Bachelor of Architecture
- Bachelor of Science in Environmental Management
- Bachelor of Computer Application
- Master of Science in Environmental Management
- Master of Science in Computer Science
- Master of Science in Natural Resources Management
- Master of Science in Construction Management
- Master of Science in Interdisciplinary Water Resource Management
- Master of Science in Transportation Engineering & Management
- Master of Science in Computer Engineering
- Master of Science in Structural Engineering
- Master of Science in Information System Engineering
- Master of Science in Hydropower Engineering
- Master of Science in Electrical Engineering in Power System
- Master of Science in Public Health and Disaster Engineering
- Master of Science in Bioinformatics
All Undergraduate, Graduate, MPhil and PhD programs in Humanities under Pokhara University are listed below:
- Bachelor of Development Studies (BDEVS)
- Bachelor of English and Communication Studies(BECS)
- Bachelor of Entrepreneurship Development (BED)
- Master of Arts in English (MA English)
- Master in Population, Gender and Development (MPGD)
- Master of Development Studies (MDEVS)
- Master of Philosophy in English (MPhil English)
- Doctor of Philosophy in Humanities
Where is Pokhara University Located?
Pokhara University is located at Khudi-Dhungepatan, Pokhara Lekhnath Municipality-30, 13km East-South of Pokhara Metropolitan City, Kaski.
Scholarships at Pokhara University
Pokhara University stands as the largest Scholarship Providing University in Nepal. Pokhara University provides 10 percent of the total students scholarship in the affiliated colleges and provides 20 percent of the students scholarships in its constituent Schools. All graduates of both government and non-government schools or colleges can apply for a scholarship and financial support at Pokhara University.
Pokhara University has taken the scheme of generous scholarship offers into account with the aim to make higher education accessible to the underprivileged section of society. The Scholarship is granted by the PU Scholarship Selection Examination based on the applicant’s credentials, economic background, and examination followed by an interview.
This blog about “Pokhara University” discusses all information about the faculties, schools, programs and scholarships of Pokhara University.
Thank You for Visiting Gurubaa!!