The first university of Nepal, Tribhuvan University (त्रिभुवन विश्वविद्यालय) was established on 11 Ashar 2016 B.S. (25 June 1959 A.D.). The non-profit making autonomous institution is located in Kirtipur, Kathmandu and is now named as the 12th largest university in the world (in terms of enrollment). It has been offering several academic and professional courses including 2,089 postgraduate and 2079 undergraduate programs.
There are more than 1,100 affiliated colleges with 62 constituent campuses. The University is government-funded. It offers the courses at minimal costs where the tuition fees are less expensive compared to private affiliated colleges. It covers an area of 154.77 hectares (3042-5-2 ropanis) of land locating on the north eastern facade of Kirtipur.
The Prime Minister of Nepal is considered as the ceremonial chief, the Chancellor of the University, the provision established after 2062/63 B.S. people’s democratic movement. Likewise, the Pro-Chancellor position is held by the Minister of Education. The Chief Executive of the university acts as the Vice Chancellor. Under the leadership of the Vice Chancellor, Registrar regulates the general administration.
What are the Objectives of Tribhuvan University (TU)?
The main objectives of TU are:
- Produce capable human resources for the nation’s development.
- To convey standard higher education
- National culture and tradition’s development and protection
- creation of knowledge and research in science, arts, vacation and technology.
What is Tribhuvan University?
TU has been named as the Central University by the Government of Nepal after the decision made on January 8, 2013. It is appreciated for fulfilling the requirements of large number of Nepalese students where it offers four research centres being expanded on five institutes and four faculties.
Is TU Accredited?
In Nepal, TU is officially accredited where it is recognized by the Ministry of Education, Nepal.
Ranking of Tribhuvan University
In terms of enrollment, it is the 12th largest university in the world. In terms of Nepal, it is the first and largest. According to the THE magazine, TU is ranked as 800 – 1000 universities of the world in 2021. In terms of Asia, it is ranked among the 251-300 best universities of Asia. Similarly, the 4icu Organisation of University Ranking ranked it as 6676 in the world.
Who established Tribhuvan University?
TU was established in 1959 by late King Mahendra Shah rule. It is named after King Mahendra’s father late king Tribhuvan Shah.
Where is TU located?
It covers an area of 154.77 hectares (3042-5-2 ropanis) of land locating on the north eastern facade of Kirtipur.
Who is the chancellor of Tribhuvan University?
Being fully government-funded, there is a rule of the Prime Minister of Nepal always being the chancellor of the Tribhuvan University. As of now, Prime Minister Sher Bahadur Deuba is the chancellor. Likewise, Minister of Education, Devendra Paudel is the Pro-Chancellor.
There are 4 councils in TU, namely,
- Executive Council
- Research Coordination Council
- Planning Council
- Academic Council
how to check tribhuvan university result
You can check your result for Tribhuvan University courses in the following simple steps:
Go to tuexam.edu.np
Go to View Result Section and select
- Visit: www.tuexam.edu.np.
- Select your examination year and course name.
- Enter your Academic Registration Number.
- Finally, click on “View Result”
History of Tribhuvan University
- The oldest university in Nepal, Tribhuvan University was established on 25 June 1959 A.D. (or 11 Ashar 2016 B.S.).
- At the begining, the classes were held at Tripureshwor Campus and the administrative office was based in Tripureshwor, Kathmandu.
- It relocated to its main office, Kartipur in 1967 that lies 5 km south-west of the Kathmandu.
- In 2009, it celebrated its golden jubilee.